Each year, we make promises to ourselves to do better, go for that promotion, and more often than not, lose weight. It’s the customary time of the year to make a goal and try to stick with it for the entire year. However, we often fall off the race horse before we develop a good stride, and our health suffers because of it. Instead of making resolutions you won’t keep this New Year, use these tips from ShapeFit.com to find success in reaching your goals.
- Write down your goals: If you truly want to accomplish something like losing weight and adopting a healthier lifestyle, you have to visualize it. Journals, food diaries, to-do lists, and fitness apps are all available to help you reach your goals and remind you on a daily basis what you’re working towards.
- Set a definitive date to check in on your progress: Saying you’ll reach your goal sometime in the upcoming year won’t do — you need to work toward a definitive date. Setting yourself up to “check-in” every few weeks can help reaffirm your determination to reach your goals. But you also need that deadline to stay motivated. Challenge yourself to meet a goal after a certain number of days, weeks, or months and stick to it.
- Get rid of temptations: Do a pantry raid to remove all the bad-for-you foods in your kitchen and don’t buy them again. Not having these foods on-hand will help you resist temptations for late-night snacking and overindulging. Fill your kitchen with healthy, nutrient-dense foods that give you a well-balanced diet.
- Meet mini-goals: Start small to build up to the big task of meeting your ultimate weight-loss goal. Write your goals down where you can focus on them each day, and adopt these healthy habits slowly to create the best lifestyle for you. A few mini-goals may include:
- Drink 10 glasses of water each day.
- Take the steps to your office at work instead of the elevator.
- Stop drinking soda.
- Eliminate all fried foods from your diet.
Talk to your physician if you’re considering making a New Year’s weight-loss resolution. Your doctor will be able to help you set a goal and a definitive date to reach it. In addition, you may be given advice on nutrition and exercise routines to use to reach your goals, along with support groups to help motivate you to succeed.
It’s a new year pretty soon. Set yourself up for success and don’t look back!
CarePoint Health Bariatric Surgery
CarePoint Health Center for Bariatric Surgery offers a number of different weight-loss surgeries to help you meet your goals, including sleeve gastrectomy, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, and adjustable gastric banding. To learn more about our bariatric surgery options, contact us at 201-795-8175 and register for our free seminar.
Content on our website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911. Always consult your physician before making any changes to your medical treatment.