Even though it is one of the most diagnosed hormonal disorders, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is not often talked about out in the open. To help clear the air of misinformation and confusion existing in our society about PCOS, Cristen Conger of Stuff Mom Never Told You made a YouTube video breaking down the most important information you need to know about this syndrome.
Here are the five things you should know about PCOS:
- PCOS is highly common — it affects between five and ten percent of women who are of childbearing age, according to the Office on Women’s Health.
- PCOS is hereditary — research shows it runs in the family and does not only affect women, but can also affect men.
- PCOS is severely underdiagnosed — the majority (almost 70 percent) of people who have PCOS are not diagnosed.
- PCOS may not cause ovarian cysts — there is doubt that the syndrome causes cysts because you don’t need to have ovaries to have PCOS.
- PCOS is treatable — there is not a cure, but you can practice lifestyle changes to manage symptoms. Medication may also help.
For more information about PCOS or to watch the video Cristen Conger made, visit Bustle.com.
CarePoint Health Gynecology Care
The expert gynecologists at CarePoint Health can guide you through treatment of menopause and all the changes that happen throughout a woman’s lifetime. For more information about the comprehensive women’s services we provide, please contact us.
Content on our website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911. Always consult your physician before making any changes to your medical treatment.