Bariatric surgery has a long track record of success. In fact, more data continues to emerge about the many health benefits of this procedure for people who have been battling obesity. If you or a loved one are considering weight-loss surgery, it’s time to learn about some of the many ways it can change lives.
- Bariatric surgery can improve or even resolve type 2 diabetes. A whopping 78 percent of patients saw a remission of their type 2 diabetes after bariatric surgery, according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Once thought to be an incurable, chronic disease that leads to numerous other health issues, type 2 diabetes has now been shown to be improved or even eliminated with this procedure. This amazing improvement is rarely accomplished through lifestyle changes alone, and therefore bariatric surgery can be an invaluable option.
- You’ll sleep better. Obesity wreaks havoc on your sleep for a number of reasons. Overweight patients tend to have trouble with snoring and sleep apnea, poor sleep quality due to altered body temperature, and the urge to get up and urinate more frequently during the night. The less sleep you get, the more likely you are to gain weight. Bariatric surgery can help stop this vicious cycle.
- Your heart will be healthier. Heart disease is our country’s number one killer. With a healthier weight, your risk of high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke is greatly reduced. A longer, healthier life will be possible for you if you are able to lose much of the excess weight that is putting your heart at risk.
- You won’t be as hungry. Your surgeon will give you instructions and recommendations on how to eat a healthy diet after your surgery. But unlike dieting alone, bariatric surgery eliminates the overwhelming hunger that makes it nearly impossible to eat fewer calories when you’re trying to lose weight. Bariatric surgery alters the signals received by your brain, making you feel fuller more quickly.
- You’ll have more fun. Imagine being able to play with your children at the park without running out of breath. Or perhaps you’ve always wanted to take part in a community charity race, but felt you couldn’t participate because of your weight. Do you skip pool parties because you don’t want to wear a bathing suit in front of others? With a significant reduction in your excess body weight, these things may all be possible.
The benefits of bariatric surgery far outweigh the risks for a number of people. The health consequences of obesity are well-documented — and dangerous. Unfortunately, many people simply cannot lose enough weight from diet and exercise alone. But with bariatric surgery, it is possible to improve your health and quality of life, and lose that weight once and for all.
CarePoint Health Bariatric Surgery
CarePoint Health Center for Bariatric Surgery offers a number of different weight-loss surgeries to help you meet your weight-loss goals, including sleeve gastrectomy and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. To learn more about our bariatric surgery options, contact us at 201-795-8175 and register for our free seminar.
Content on our website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911. Always consult your physician before making any changes to your medical treatment.